Is “The Nightmare Before Christmas” a Halloween or Christmas Movie?

Opening of The Nightmare Before Christmas

Few films in the realm of holiday cinema have sparked as spirited a debate as Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Is it a Halloween film with a hint of Christmas enchantment or a festive story intertwined with the charm of Halloween Town? The debate has raged on for years with passionate arguments on both sides. As we delve into the enchanting world of Jack Skellington, Sally, and the residents of Halloween Town, we answer the age-old question: Does “The Nightmare Before Christmas” belong on your Halloween or Christmas movie playlist?

I interviewed some students at Santaluces High School, and the results were quite surprising. It was surprising to find that a significant number of students held the belief that the movie was primarily associated with Halloween. Liliana Stoleberg, a student, shared her perspective, saying, “I consider it a Halloween movie, mainly because of the characters. It’s a cast of Halloween-themed characters celebrating Christmas.” Interestingly, a recurring theme emerged as numerous students echoed similar ideas, emphasizing the characters and setting as their primary reasons as to why it is a Halloween movie.

However, there were contrasting opinions. A minority of people saw the movie primarily through the lens of Christmas. In the film, we witness the spooky residents of Halloween Town being entranced by the enchantment of Christmas. The inclusion of Christmas traditions like toy-making and Santa Claus giving presents led many to categorize the movie as a Christmas-themed one. Jalisa Cantu, another Santaluces student, said, “It just gives me a Christmas vibe. I think it’s the music and the presence of Santa Claus.”

This movie is a Halloween classic in my opinion. The characters are a big part of what makes it special, and the story revolves around them celebrating Christmas in their own unique way. It’s like Halloween and Christmas coming together in a fascinating mix.