A Little Advice to You From Me

Maya Angelou

Are you ready to move up a grade?

Marisia Aquino-Woods, Staff Writer

Hey, my loves.

Tonight, I wanted to shed a little light on my last 4 years of high school. With everything coming to an end I just feel like it’s only right to give a little advice to my upcoming seniors out there. But this isn’t just about studying or keeping your grades up, it’s about you and actually allowing yourself to enjoy your high school experience as well as embracing your fulfillment regarding your dreams.

First things first, if I learned anything from my 4 years of high school, it’s that it’s so important that you maintain and strengthen your mental health. Meaning, that no matter what, understand that it’s okay to have limitations on what you believe you can handle and/or take on; whether it be a job, volunteering, or even sports. If you need to cut back on hours then do so, if you are only able to work 2-3 times a week then do so, if sports is taking you away from your studies too often then hit the break.

The point is, you know what’s best for you and only you. Because not only is it key to allow your body and mind to have a break here and there, but also that it’s important for you to allow your body and mind to catch up with one another. It not only plays a part in reducing your stress levels but most importantly keeps you on track and ready for anything. It prepares you for any hiccup that comes your way, giving you time to pick up your given pace and go for it.

However, just know you are not alone; I struggled too with the concept of thinking you have to rush; get it done sooner rather than later. Which, by all means, is the right way to go, but your mental stability is extremely important as well. Because it’s hard in the long run, but here is something no one ever told me that I think will help many of you get by: “Take your time and do what’s not only best for you but most importantly enjoy yourself. You only get these moments once, make it count”.

Secondly, enjoy yourself. You’re going to meet so many people, with which you may even keep in contact for years to come. But nonetheless, you’re going to experience once-in-a-lifetime opportunities such as Grad-bash, Senior ditch day, Prom, and most importantly, Graduation. Which all play a part in your coming of age and growing up, so enjoy it. Embrace it. Make every second of it count, because you won’t ever get another chance like this again.

Something I failed to realize during my last year of high school, I had too many worries of situations that could have been taken care of later; and now as I sit here and reflect on my Senior year of high school, I wished I would have allowed myself to enjoy it a bit more rather than try to forget and move on to the next chapter of my life. Because in all honesty, this is what makes you. This is your last milestone before you hit adult life or for some like myself only just another chapter for the books. But either way, make it count towards something for yourself, for many it’s an accomplishment, for others it’s considered closure. To think you wouldn’t be able to do it in the long run, but did and that is something to be proud of.

So, with that being said, I wish all you new upcoming Seniors the best of luck!

Until next time my loves.