Athlete Profile: Jaden Beckles

Jaden Beckles participates in the track team and band.

Mikaya Harrison

Karen Portillo, Staff Writer

Senior Jaden Beckles is a well-known face here at Santaluces. From winning homecoming king to playing for the band, Beckles has done it all. As a senior, Jaden made a promise to himself that this year would be his best year yet. He wanted to make an impact on himself and his school in his final year.

Beckles’ true passion is running, hence his involvement in the varsity track and field team. This year, Beckles was named captain of the team and could not have been more honored. Having been on varsity for four years now, Beckles has faced many challenges in his life. “Being on varsity has taught me that you have to be broken down to be built back up. It has shown me that I can do anything I put my mind to,” mentioned Beckles. Running the 800 meter and mile race, Beckles has never given up on himself. His grandmother inspires him to be the best athlete and person he can be.

Mikiya Harrison
Jaden runs the 800 meters and mile.

Although Beckles has decided to major in Psychology while in college, he also plans to continue track and hopefully make it to the Olympics one day. “As an athlete, I look up to Usain Bolt. Bolt sets an example for me to work hard and discipline myself to meet all the goals I want in life,” stated Jaden.

Even with track Beckles works hard to maintain straight A’s at school. Jaden’s typical day consists of going to school until 2:45 p.m., going to track until 4 p.m., heading to work at 5 p.m. till 11 p.m., and getting home by 11:30 p.m.

Beckles also enjoys being a part of the Marching Chiefs. Jaden has played the alto saxophone for seven years now and loves the rush he gets when he plays on the stands. Beckles believes, “Playing the saxophone keeps me ahead of the game. It’s a time where I can sit down and relax while playing the instrument I love.”

Although he’s constantly running and pushing through his sore muscles, Beckles does not regret joining any activity while in high school. For Chiefs hesitant on joining the track team, Beckles advises, “Try it. Live your life. Don’t quit on the first try. Track and field is a vigorous and intense sport, but never give up on yourself.”