Save The Date!
  • Graduation: 05/14
  • No School: 05/27
  • End of 4th Quarter: 05/30

COS: Gabriela Martinez

Gabriela Martinez
A picture of Gabriela Maritinez

Today, I had the honor of interviewing one of my closest friends, Gabriela Martinez. She is a Junior here at Santaluces who is present on the softball team and The Tribe. She loves listening to music; you can frequently find her walking around campus with music blasting through her headphones.

How has your experience been at Santaluces so far? 

“This is my 2nd year at Santaluces and so far I have really liked it and I feel like it’s better than my last school. The teachers here are very experienced and amazing and the people are very nice. I love that everyone shows school spirit by dressing up during spirit week and showing off their class colors during pep rallies.”

What do you plan on doing career-wise?

“I plan to do something related to medicine, maybe something like an orthodontist dental hygienist.”

Do you have any colleges/universities that you wish to attend?

“I would like to attend FAU, UF, or any other school that is offered to me. I’m considering UF because I really like the campus in Tallahassee.”

What do you like to do in your free time?

“I like to play softball, go out with my siblings to try new restaurants, and advance my driving skills.”

What is your favorite thing about being a part of a sports team here at Santaluces? 

“The people on the team automatically become your friends. I’ll say hi to them in the hallway and even support them on and off the field.”

What motivated you to join a sports team?

“My sister graduated in 2021, she was playing softball during her Senior year and I really enjoyed going to her games during my Freshman year. I played volleyball for like 3 years and I was going to join the team but my procrastination habits didn’t allow me to. So I looked for the next best thing and everyone welcomed me on the softball team.”

Will you act on your love for sports in the future?

“I have been considering choosing a career in sports medicine. Softball isn’t necessarily something I would play in college but I support anyone who chooses to do so.”

Who are your favorite teachers here at Santaluces and why?

“Ms.Tague is one of them, I love her style of teaching, it’s chef kiss. Her classroom was very relaxing, it never felt like I was learning. I was happy to be there and I wanted to be there. I probably didn’t gain more than 2 absences throughout the year because I never wanted to miss engaging with the environment she and my peers created.”

“Ms.Schroader is another, she has opened a lot of opportunities for me and I feel that her way of teaching is so welcoming. Her students really take a lot from her class and the way she teaches.”

What is one thing that you love most about being a Chief?

“There isn’t a sense of shyness when people ask me where I’m from. I proudly rep my softball hoodie everywhere I go and brag about me being a part of the class of 2025.”

Given your class of 2025, what advice would you give to underclassmen?

“Take care of your GPA and take AP courses. Be aware of how fast your GPA can drop and how hard it can be to raise it.”