Book Review: “Verity”

Angelina Prieto
The highly beloved book,”Verity”, by Colleen Hoover.

Verity by Colleen Hoover was published in December 2018 leaving everyone speechless. The romance thriller quickly gained popularity all over social media. With all the twists and turns, the book will keep you on the edge of your seat.

When the main character, Lowen Ashleigh, is offered a book deal any writer would dream of, she soon realizes it isn’t what it seems to be. Jeremy Crawford, husband of a best-selling author, Verity Crawford, employs Lowen to complete the remainder of the series his wife had started writing but was unable to finish because of her injury. As Lowen begins exploring through Verity’s notes and rough drafts, only searching for some background to help get her started, she stumbles upon something Verity never intended for anyone to see.

Throughout the book, Lowen contemplates whether to show anyone what she finds. She fears that it could ruin everything going well for her, from the book deal to the developing chemistry between her and Jeremy. The book ends inconclusively leaving it up to the reader to decide what really happened.

Personally, I think this is an amazing book. I love the concept of deciding my own ending and the feeling of suspense and shock as I read the book was truly exciting since it was one of my first romance thriller reads. The novel left me wanting more and inspired me to read more thriller books. However, please keep in mind that there are some graphic parts. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a suspenseful read.

To add a little more about the author, Colleen Hoover is well known for writing romance fiction and is best known for her award-winning novel, It Ends With Us, which became the number one best-selling book of 2022. The book Verity itself caught Hoover’s audience by surprise since she had never written anything like it. The book received a lot of positive feedback, resulting in Hoover releasing an extra chapter. I have not yet read the additional chapter, but I am looking forward to it!