Save The Date!
  • Graduation: 05/14
  • No School: 05/27
  • End of 4th Quarter: 05/30

Cobra Kai Uprising in Viewers

Sal
Screenshot of Cobra Kai screening on Netflix

Cobra Kai is one of the most popular and successful shows on Netflix. In 2022, Cobra Kai was watched for over 16.7 billion minutes. To put that into perspective, 16.7 billion minutes in years is over 31,773 years.

On September 11, 2022, Cobra Kai was #1 in the top 10 show list on Netflix. After two seasons on YouTube Red, Netflix picked up Cobra Kai for a third season and it quickly became an internet sensation. Cobra Kai gained a large audience that may not have realized it existed before because of Netflix’s diverse user base, causing an explosion of excitement over the show before season 3 ever aired. Fortunately for Cobra Kai and Netflix, this excitement only grew with the launch of the new season in early 2021, establishing the series’ reputation as one of the most anticipated of the year.

The famous show called “Cobra Kai” is a spinoff to the “Karate Kid” film series, picking up several decades after the original films. The plot concentrates on the lives of the original protagonists, Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence, who are now grownups. It follows their rivalry and the renewal of the battle between their karate dojos, Cobra Kai (directed by Johnny) and Miyagi-Do (directed by Daniel). The show delves into the lives of new characters who join the dojos while examining themes of atonement, rivalry, and the complex of maturity. It combines nostalgia with modern storytelling, depicting the character’s hardships and complexities while paying respect to the memorable scenes and conflicts of the original films.

Several things contributed to the enormous popularity of “Cobra Kai” such as:

• Many people watched because of their nostalgia. By appealing to nostalgia from the “Karate Kid” movies that were made in the 1980s and 1990s, the series attracted tons of viewers. Both old and new audiences were drawn in by the return of well-liked characters like Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso.
  • It has really good storytelling and character development. The characters on the show were beautifully developed, giving depth to Johnny Lawrence, Daniel LaRusso, and many new characters that were introduced. It was not only about looking back but also about exploring their current lives, struggles, and personal development.
  • The move from YouTube to Netflix made it gain many new viewers. “Cobra Kai” was first available on YouTube Premium, but its audience was fairly small. The show attracted a much larger audience when it was moved to Netflix, where it gained millions of global viewers.