Make a Routine

An example of what a routine looks like

Cindy Apolonio Romero, Staff Writer

As a student, your daily life can be difficult to manage. Students all over the world deal with school and extracurriculars. I encourage all students who may be struggling to fit everything they do into a routine. Routines are personalized to you and only you.

To start your routine list, first list all of the classes and things you do each day of the week. Then, you can organize them in the order that you do each thing. Next, start framing with time stamps.

EX: Monday

Wake up 6:00-6:10

Breakfast 6:10-6:30

Get ready 6:30-7:10

School 7:10-2:40

Eat 2:40-3:10

Homework 3:10-5:10

Gym and hanging out 5:10-9:30

Get ready for bed 9:30-10:00

Read 10:00- 10:30

Sleep 10:30-6:10

This will help you stay organized and see all of the things you have to do each day. Routines are flexible and can be changed to accommodate all the things you need to do.

The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services recommends following a routine to have something you are familiar with when things are difficult in one’s life. Individuals’ lives can become much easier and stress-free.

A student at Santaluces High School, Ashley Fernandez said, “Routines are helpful with time management. Setting priorities is an efficient way to complete the goals you have set in place for yourself.”

Another student, Azzurra Degliuomini stated, “I have a lot of stuff to do and have to keep track of it all, so a routine can keep me from losing my mind.”

Students have many extracurriculars and sports that they do on top of homework. Many colleges like to see students involved; however, it can be very draining for many students because of so much that is going on. As Azzurra stated, it’s hard to not “lose your mind” when you have so much going on every day.

Breaking down your day and keeping track of what you accomplished and still need to accomplish can help you manage time wisely.