Chiefs Baseball Crushes Crusaders

Matthew Leto, Sports Editor

The Chiefs finished the preseason 2-0 after a walk-off victory 7-6 against Cardinal Newman. Junior A.J. Orrico delivered a game winning double driving in senior Kyle Swaters who reached base in all four plate appearances.

The Crusaders got off to a hot start because of miscues by the Chiefs. The Chiefs were able to regroup and fix those miscues by the end of the inning.

The Chiefs high powered offense was ignited by Swaters who led the bottom of the second with a lead off double. Senior Luis Pujols connected on a double, scoring Swaters. Junior Bradley Terry drove in Pujols, with a RBI single. Junior M.J. Restivo hit a double to drive in Terry, and Restivo later scored in the inning, giving the Chiefs a 4-3 lead.

The Chiefs pitching got the job done. Sophomore Jared Patronis pitched well. This season has been very bright for the sophomore phenom. Senior Hakim Williams, a transfer from Park Vista, pitched great in relief for Patronis in his Chiefs debut.

Orrico drove in Swaters on a game winning double to win a back and fourth game. The Chiefs met their high expectations in preseason, and now they will look to continue their journey in the Santaluces Slam.

“Once I made contact with the ball, I knew that we won the game,” Orrico said. “Anytime you can make a major impact in a close game, it feels great.”