Carnegie Scores Twice, Pushes Chiefs over John I Leonard 21-7

Kevin Fielder, Staff Writer

In a game defined by hard-nosed defense by both Santaluces and John I Leonard, the Chiefs’ Val Carnegie made the most out of limited offensive opportunities for either side.

Twice the junior running back Carnegie had the ball in John I Leonard territory, both times he walked into the end zone. The two rushing touchdowns helped push the Chiefs (2-2) to a 21-7 win over the Lancers (0-4).

Carnegie’s first score came early in the 2nd quarter on a short run. Carnegie was handed the ball just a few yards out and got an early push from the Chiefs’ offensive line, allowing him to spring into the end zone and give the Chiefs an early 7-0 advantage.

At the end of the half, with the same score, the Chiefs turned to their strong defense again. For the whole of the third quarter, the Lancers’ offense got past midfield just once and completed few passes. In each of their wins, the Chiefs’ defense has played a major role in the victory.

At the beginning of the 4th quarter, the Lancers’ Kenneth Charles tied the game at 7 on a fullback dive from the two-yard line. The tie put the home crowd back in the game and turned the momentum in advantage of the Lancers.

The Chiefs were able to take the lead back with 6 minutes left courtesy of another Carnegie touchdown. Once again, the Chiefs’ offensive line paved the way for Carnegie to score from 5 yards out. The score gave the Chiefs a 13-7 lead and put the team in the driver’s seat.

Following a punt, the Chiefs would seal the game with a short touchdown by sophomore running back Jahbari Hill with just 35 seconds left. After converting the two-point conversion, the Chiefs would take a 21-7 lead, where the score would hold.

The Chiefs will play host to district opponent the 3-1 Boca Raton Bobcats on Thursday.