Speech and Debate Team

Deanna Isaac
A student presenting at the podium

Speech and Debate is a club held here at Santaluces. The club is a student-oriented and student-driven organization that allows students to develop and practice their logic. The speech and debate team is a competing part of the Palm Beach Catholic Forensic League (Palm Beach CFL) and the National Speech & Debate Association’s (NSDA) Florida Oceanfront District.

The club meets every day Thursday from 2:45 PM-4 PM. The club is set to frequently meet as competitions come near. The Debate competitions are held at various high schools within Palm Beach CFL.

Interested in joining? All you need to do to join is have a voice, an opinion, and a willingness to develop the skills learned into a debate asset, using them to improve in today’s world. All students at Santaluces High School are welcome to join.

Now you may ask what exactly is being done in the club? Students choose from one of the 18 Speech and 6 Debate competition events and are to learn the rules related to the event. The students then begin to draft their speech or debate presentation and practice delivering it. You can choose more than one event, but one is encouraged to learn a primary event first. Additionally, the team of debaters are interested in using their skills to improve their school community for all students.