The “Mockingjay, Part 1” Soundtrack is “Lorde-ly”

The+Mockingjay%2C+Part+1+Soundtrack+is+Lorde-ly+

Angelica Dameus, Staff Writer

This Monday, the Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 soundtrack was released, and it was curated by a divine force: Lorde, to be exact. The 17-year old Grammy winner assembled an arsenal of artists- from up-and-coming artists such as Tinashe, to familiar Alternative/Indie musicians like Chvrches- to make the music for one of the world’s biggest movie franchises memorable. The dystopian YA book series turned blockbuster has been nothing short of successful, and neither has its latest soundtrack.

Lorde impeccably captures Katniss’ desire for revenge on the Capitol in songs like “Yellow Flicker Beat,” with one of the lyrics reading “I’m locking up everyone who ever laid a finger on me.” Other tracks on the soundtrack, like “All My Love” by Major Lazer featuring Ariana Grande, add an uplifting and exhilarating feeling to Mockingjay. 

“I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I heard the soundtrack and it makes me so much more excited to see it,” said Marie Bobb, a sophomore here at Santaluces. “I love Lorde, she did such a great job with the soundtrack.”

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1 hit theaters yesterday. The soundtrack is the most thrilling and, arguably, the best movie soundtrack released in a long time. In it, Lorde manages to capture the raw emotion of its movie in a way that makes you feel like you’re walking the streets of Panem yourself.