Save The Date!
  • Graduation: 05/14
  • No School: 05/27
  • End of 4th Quarter: 05/30

Benefits of Practicing Mindfulness

A+picture+of+a+girl+meditating+
Liliana Stollberg
A picture of a girl meditating

In the AICE Psychology class at Santaluces High School, we are talking about the Holzel et al study. This study investigated the effects mindfulness has on brain grey matter density. While learning about this, I started thinking about mindfulness and the benefits of it.

Mindfulness is the ability to be in the present moment and keep your brain from drifting off to other things. You can practice mindfulness through simple things like controlling your breathing or meditating. It is a very hard skill to master, but knowing it can be incredibly helpful.

Specifically, I think that practicing mindfulness would be beneficial to students. Everyone knows the feeling of trying to get homework done but all you can think about is what you’ll wear tomorrow or your favorite singer’s newest song. It doesn’t matter what it is, everyone gets distracted by things, making it hard to focus properly. Being mindful can keep you focused on the task at hand and lead to better grades. Staying mindful can also improve your mental health as it has also been proven to reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.