Navigating High School: 11 Tips for Incoming Freshman

Marline Accelon
A Freshman lanyard

Coming into high school can be scary; you’re going to a whole new environment and meeting many new people. Here are 11 tips that will help you navigate your high school career.

To get organized, you must stay on top of your game, establishing a system that will help you keep track of assignments, deadlines, and important dates. Keeping yourself organized reduces stress and enables you to manage your time more effectively. One big thing that teachers and others say is to join extracurriculars, clubs, and sports, which offer opportunities to make friends, develop new skills, and try something new. You also must manage your time. it is easy to lose track of time when entering high school, but learning how to manage time helps with balancing your school work, after-school activities, and your personal life. Not only does it help with your time in high school, but it will also help you later in life.

Building relationships and creating friendships and connections will help when it comes to getting advice, and you will see many new perspectives while have an enjoyable experience with those people. A high school is a place of growth where you go through many phases throughout your four years, so going out of your comfort zone is a must. Don’t be afraid of change and growth. You will change socially and academically.

Keep yourself healthy and ensure your mental health is good because it will get stressful. So you must prioritize your physical and psychological well-being. Always ask for help if you need help with an assignment. Your teachers are there to help you, so do not be scared to ask, and if you are going through personal struggles, reach out to your counselor. Developing good study habits and a consistent routine will help you succeed academically.

Be respectful and treat others with kindness. This may be hard sometimes, but it is important to treat others how you want to be treated. It’s important is to create positive relationships with peers and staff. Stay updated with school news; staying informed ensures you don’t miss out on any vital information and opportunities.

Lastly, enjoy yourself. A high school is a unique place you can only experience once. You get to learn, grow, and make memorable memories. So have fun, enjoy yourself to the fullest, and cherish your friends because high school does fly by fast.