A Beautifully Chaotic Sisterhood

The Santaluces dance team, “Beautiful Chaos,” is ready for their new season.

The+dance+team+after+their+performance+at+the+Homecoming+Pep+Rally.+

Miss Latham

The dance team after their performance at the Homecoming Pep Rally.

Cajisha Telusme, Staff Writer

After a lively performance at the first two pep rallies, it seems the only talk around the school is: The Dance Team, officially named, “Beautiful Chaos.”

Coach and English teacher Ms. Latham and team captain Mayra Vazquez have embraced the moves, struts and natural sass from their teammates to create unforgettable routines that convey feeling and tell a story. The choreography is a group effort that is approved or assisted by Ms. Latham.

“Taking leadership as a captain has taught me to be responsible and confident,” said Vazquez, a senior. “Dancing has always been my passion and I can honestly say dancing has been the best thing to happen to me in all of my high school years.”

The origin of the new and improved dance team is still unknown to many. Last year, Ms. Latham took the team into her arms, allowing herself to relive her dance background. As a little girl in church, to a dancer in the middle school band, then to a dancer in the marching band in high school, Ms. Latham abandoned her passion of dance for years. Then, she was asked to be a part of a team that fell apart after the former coach left the school.

“The girls on this team really look out for each other,” said Ms. Latham. “I know most teams always say they’re a family but they really are like a sisterhood. They take care of each other.”

There are currently 22 members that can be spotted practicing every single day of the week preparing for their performances, like the performance they did at the homecoming pep rally on Friday. Now, with that performance behind them, they’ll have a consistent practice schedule of three days a week (Monday – Wednesday.)

New member of the team, Sabrina Amius, is ecstatic about being a part of the team.

“I’m really excited to be on the team because it’s a great accomplishment,”  said Amius. “I think the team is one of the best as far as high school goes and they’re very sisterly-like.”

Fun Facts

•  Coach Ms. Latham is in charge of all the music.
  • The team painted Ms. Latham’s classroom purple.
  • According to Ms. Latham, all you need to be a part of the dance team is a positive attitude, confidence, effort, passion and responsibility.
  • This is Mayra Vasquez’s second year as the captain of Beautiful Chaos.
  • This year’s first pep rally performance was choreographed by Cynthia Jean-Louis, Mayra Vasquez and Evanie Pierre.