Study Tips for Improving Test Scores

MCT

Every desk is taken in professor Jeanne Neil’s Accounting 101 classroom at Orange Coast Community College in Costa Mesa, California, on September 10, 2011. She said dozens more students were left on the “wait list” after the beginning business course reached capacity enrollment. (Don Bartletti/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Marie Bobb, Staff Writer

Around this time in the school year, a majority of students are either extreme procrastinators, or on the brink of insanity because of the amount of school work being assigned to them.

For those who actually care about their grade or GPA, there is a slim few that are completely stress free but after reading these hacks and tips that “slim few” will include you!

1. Buddy System – Anyone can help with your studying. Studying with a buddy may seem like a big distraction, but in reality, it can be a little more helpful than studying alone. When studying with a partner, you can help that person with problems they do not understand, and vice versa.
  2. Quizlet – You may have come across this website quite often while looking up definitions or answers, but this website is extremely useful. Not only is this website made out of definitions and quizzes, but you can also personalize your own for a specific class.
  3. Snacks – Believe it or not, snacks help a whole lot when it comes to studying. The best way to enjoy yourself while studying is treating yourself while doing it. Small snacks like gummy bears or fruit snacks are perfect for studying. For motivation to continue studying, after you read a section or finish a problem, treat yourself with a little snack.
  4. Music – Music is rarely ever something that prevents someone from studying or getting work done. When you have the right song playing, it is easier to go with the flow of studying. The music does not even have to particularly be something calm or soothing, it can be whatever type of music you favor.
  5. Taking Breaks – Many students believe that when they study, they have to be doing so consistently for hours. However, taking breaks is actually very beneficial. Taking breaks helps you relax your mind and rest up for a while. These breaks can be anything from watching an episode of a show, or venturing into Instagram or Twitter for a little.
  6. Schedule Your Studying – Some students may not believe in scheduling their activities, but scheduling these events can be extremely helpful when it comes to studying. If you set out an idea of exactly what you are going to do when you get home, it will most likely be done. The best time to schedule your studying is a couple of hours before you go to sleep, because studying right before you sleep will keep the information fresh in your mind for the next day.