COS: Kerryna Dort

Kemlie Dort

Kerryna Dort at the BLM protest in West Palm Beach.

Myesha Rahman, Staff Writer

Junior Kerryna Dort has a lot on her plate. In addition to being an exemplary student, her feats include being a small business owner and activist.

Her small business “Treasures from K” is run straight out of her bedroom. Dort noticed bangles trending on Instagram and was inspired to start making trendy and quality jewelry for an affordable price.

Concentrating on school is a priority for Dort so balancing between her business and her studies has been challenging.

“Since I started during the summer it was easier to ship out orders, but since school started it has been a little bit hard,” she said.

COVID-19 has had a profound effect on many small businesses, including Dort’s. Adhering to safety guidelines and ensuring product safety is a major concern and has taken a hit on many. Dort has adjusted her procedures to make her packaging safer.

In addition to her business, social justice is important to Dort. The Black Lives Matter movement, in response to years of systemic racism and injustice against black people, ignited a flame in people worldwide. Dort joined a local protest this summer, walking down I-95, and City Place.

“I try my best to make sure I stand up for my rights as an African American.”

Dort also likes to give back to the community. Recently, she was able to collect community donations and distribute supplies to people in need. This experience was very emotional for her and gave Dort the realization that differences among people should not prevent someone from receiving help and knowing that they are cared for. 

“Some things that keep me motivated is thinking about my future and thinking of the person I want to become,” said Dort. 

In the future, she hopes to become a software engineer and create a nonprofit to continue helping others.