They Aren’t the Ones to Blame

Hacked, violated, and blamed, these celebrities aren’t the ones at fault.

+Jennifer+Lawrence+trips+on+the+way+to+accept+her+Academy+Award.

Courtesy of MCT Campus

Jennifer Lawrence trips on the way to accept her Academy Award.

Mishka Brice, Editor in Chief

In this world run by technology, access to information is just a simple click away. From beheadings to nude photos, explicit and private material isn’t very private anymore.

Just recently, two journalists who were kidnapped by ISIS had their beheadings spread all over social media as fast as the Ebola virus is spreading in Africa. And now, privacy has been breached once again with this recent hacking of celebrity private nude photos.

Over the weekend, several hackers hacked over 100 celebrities by breaching a security flaw in the Apple iCloud system. According to CNN, they answered security questions such as “What’s the name of your hometown?” or “What’s your mother’s maiden name?” answers that can easily be found through websites like Wikipedia. By gaining access through Apple’s “Find my iPhone” app, they gained access to the cloud, too.

Notable celebrities such as Hunger Games’ Jennifer Lawrence and Nickelodeon’s former child stars Victoria Justice and Ariana Grande have been exposed, along with many others. The spotlight has been directed specifically on Jennifer Lawrence, however, for her explicitly provocative photos. This massive breach is currently being investigated by the FBI under the conditions of possible child pornography featured as well.

But not only has their privacy been tarnished to the world, it’s being made a mockery of as well. According to International Business Times, a Los Angeles-based artist who goes by the name of XVALA is planning on showcasing some of the naked photos at a gallery show in part of his “Fear Google” campaign.

Now the standing argument is if the victim is to blame more so than the perps themselves? Many have been saying, “Then don’t take nude pics in the first place.” Though that may be true, please be reminded that they are their private photos. It’s their own business. And ultimately, they were victims of an invasion of privacy. Do we really have any right to say that the victims are to blame? I mean, it’s like telling a victim that it was her fault that she was raped because she was wearing a short skirt.

This can all go back to the leading argument of feminism. A woman shouldn’t be bound or confined to men or society’s expectations of her. But unfortunately, as women, we are and continue to be plagued with such stigmas. And unfortunately, it is evident in this massive online leak. It wasn’t just 100 celebrity photos that were leaked. It was 100 famous WOMEN photos that were leaked. No men, whatsoever. I think that pretty much speaks for itself.

Not too long ago former Disney child star, Dylan Sprouse, who’s known for starring alongside his twin brother in Suite Life of Zack and Cody, had a few nude photos leaked on the Internet as well. The only difference was that few came down on him as hard as people have been for these women. In fact, he was still praised, even more so for the photos.  Need I say more?

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to insinuate that Dylan Sprouse was not a victim as well, because in the long run he was, regardless of his gender. It’s also very likely that he wasn’t given as much heat for his photos because he isn’t a Hollywood “A-Lister”  or he wasn’t a part of a massive online leak. But, there is definitely a huge elephant standing in the room.

And despite the gender bias, these women deserve respect and sympathy for their violation. A crime is a crime and a victim is a victim- whether it be an invasion of privacy physically or virtually.

Celebrities already give up so much of their lives to the media and the public. The little bit of privacy they have left is their sanity and dignity, but not even that can they hold onto anymore.