Get Vaccinated or Get Sick

Influenza is a contagious disease that spreads around the United States every winter, usually between October and May.

MCT

Courtesy of MCT Campus

Cajisha Telusme, Staff Writer

Refusing to be vaccinated seems to be as common as a person with a cold.

As of 2014, there are still people in the world refusing vaccination because of religious or philosophical reasons. Claiming religious and philosophical asylum doesn’t excuse ignorance. Believing that not getting vaccinated will prevent and protect you from sickness is pure ignorance.

The anti-vaccine movement is giving power to the diseases health care professionals are working so hard to eliminate. As a result, diseases are getting a second life. Whether you believe that the outcome of getting vaccinated is good or not. It protects you and the people around you. As they say, “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

The measles outbreak in New York, California and Texas is just one of the instances that support the claim, the anti-vaccination movement could effect the human race on a large scale.

Last year, California had the largest number of unprotected kindergartners not vaccinated for their parents’ philosophical reasons.

Healthy Schools LLC. is a Florida based Vaccine for Children Provider that, in partnership with School District of Palm Beach County, will be offering the pain-free Flu/Mist Quadrivalent vaccine for school district students, free of charge.

The CDC’s U.S. Department of Health and Human services released a vaccine information statement about the Influenza vaccine and what you need to know.

Symptoms include:

• fever/chills
  • sore throat
  • muscle aches
  • fatigue
  • cough
  • headache
  • runny or stuffy nose

If you ever find yourself with any of these symptoms make sure you take the necessary precautions to protect yourself and others around you.