Chiefs Have a Rude Awakening

Marie Bobb, Staff Writer

Restless eyes, messy hair, and endless Instagram memes are being shown more than ever since school is back in session. Many teens are so used to staying up late this whole winter break that when it is actually time for school, they aren’t fully prepared. Having to set their alarms back, rolling out of bed, and getting ready to start the day is going to be hard when they’ve gotten so used to waking up whenever for two weeks straight. This is affecting high school students the most, since they are usually the ones getting up earlier, with jobs and a lot of work to handle at the same time.

High schoolers having to juggle work and school is already hard enough, so when they finally get a break, it’s going to be hard to get back on track and sleep is one of the main problems. Without sleep, the body can barely function. All people need sleep so they can have our daily energy and be able to work hard at school and work.

“Honestly, winter break really messed up my sleeping schedule,”said Alicia Newby, 10th grade. “I feel like my body was adapted to falling asleep at 2:30 a.m. and waking up at noon. It’s crazy.”

Lack of sleep is also a big problem because it’s changing people’s everyday moods. Having to wake up early after getting no sleep isn’t going to necessarily make anyone happy or excited for school.

This is something students will encounter for the rest of their lives. When they get older and have those long summer breaks, it’s going to be a pain to try and get back to the normal schedule, so I highly believe even though this is extremely annoying, it is preparing us for the real world later on in life.