• End of Winter Break: Tuesday 1/8

• Start of Winter Break: Friday 12/21

• End of Second 9 weeks : Friday, 12/21

Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Duane Wicker, Staff Writer

Many people have their negative and positive opinions about Donald Trump and the questionable things he does (and gets away with), even Jay-Z has had something to say about his alleged recent “sh**hole” remarks towards Haiti and African Nations. Black lawmakers even peacefully protested his comments at the State of the Union Address Tuesday night.

On Thursday January 12 , 2018 President Donald Trump allegedly referred to Haiti and other African nations as “sh**hole countries” during a private White House meeting with a bipartisan group of senators.

What Trump said came from sources who where briefed on the meeting and the statement issued by the White House did not deny the remarks. Two sources say that during the conversation about Haiti Trump questioned why Haitians should be given specific consideration. “Why do we need more Haitians, take them out” he said, according to other sources. Another person in the room responded “Because if you do, it will be obvious why.”

Officials said they were shocked to hear such words come out of a President’s mouth and that his words were hate-filled.

Donald Trump has said very hateful, disgusting and disrespectful things even  before he was president. For example, when Trump said NFL owners should fire “Son of B*tch” Anthem Protesters.

Once again I’m expecting Trump supporters to somehow defend his racist remarks, by claiming that there’s no physical proof or recording or by bringing up a totally off-topic situation to hold on to their pride.

Trump has rallied against the visa lottery system repeatedly in recent months which is why it’s not hard to believe that he would actually use such insulting language. Also, he tweeted about “The Democrats” later that Thursday night.According to the democratic aid when they started to discuss immigration from Africa, Trump asked why America would want immigrants from “all these sh**hole countries” and that the U.S. should have more people from countries like Norway.

Hip-Hop icon Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter described Donald Trump’s comments as “disappointing and hurtful.” Carter said that the President’s racist comments exposed the way that people still talk behind closed doors when nobody is around.

Jay-Z replied to the tweet by explaining  that it’s not all about money and that money does not equate to happiness, while being interviewed by Van Jones on “The Van Jones Show”

“My problem with government is, I think they forget that it’s real people behind these decisions that they’re making…We’re like people going through real things in real time in real pain” Jay-Z said.

I understand what Jay-Z is saying and I agree with him. I think many politicians create legislations and laws that affect so many people, but some politicians are so disconnected from everyday citizens that have to deal with their policies and legislation.

Members of The Congressional Black Caucus wore traditional African Kente cloth to the State Of The Union Address in protest of Trumps alleged “sh**hole countries” comment. During Trump’s speech Congress Woman Alma S. Adams tweeted “African American Unemployment has been declining for a decade yet it’s still double white unemployment.”

Nobody is really surprised that this came from Trump. He’s offended so many people from every ethnicity and race that all you can do is laugh at the fact that he somehow became president and it tells you a lot about the majority of U.S citizens who voted for him.

About the Writer
Duane Wicker, Staff Writer

I'm a senior at Santaluces High School. I've been a student at Santaluces since Freshman year and this is my first year in Newspaper. I hope to share my...

1 Comment

One Response to “Trump’s Controversial Remarks”

1. Martin Rodriguez on February 12th, 2018 10:58 pm

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion especially if it sways left or right. However this piece is riddled with claims and no backup. Especially when you say “…I’m expecting Trump supporters to somehow defend his racist remarks…”, you gave no examples of his apparently racist claims. It’s easy to call someone a racist, but if you call someone a racist without any proof just because you don’t like the person then you’re just making yourself look ignorant. Besides the missing claims of racism, you also make a generalization of all Trump supporters. The condescension of groups of people especially when you don’t know their prerogative for voting the way they did is a terrible idea, especially since the left doesn’t stand on a higher plane of morality . Before you decide to throw the alleged Haiti comment at me, just remember that this wasn’t ever confirmed and that he isn’t the most eloquent speaker and that was a reason for people supporting him. He talked to the everyday person. In addition, the comment made about Haiti wasn’t completely inaccurate. The country is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and doesn’t produce very much in GDP. It isn’t racist to say that, it’s an objective fact. If you get offended by me pointing that out then you should probably ask Hillary where that $1 billion that was supposed to go to the Haiti relief went. Lastly you bring up the black unemployment rate. The black unemployment rate is at its lowest and that you’re not giving any credit to Trump. It is true the numbers had been steadily declining but it’s just out of pure spite to not give Trump and his economy any credit for the unemployment rate. Had Obama done what Trump has done while in office, he would’ve had his face carved into Rushmore. Otherwise your piece was of average quality and I await to see what else you produce. Best of luck Duane!

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Lifestyle & Opinion

How the System Failed Cyntoia Brown

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Lifestyle & Opinion

Mental Health in a Latino Household

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Opinion

I Don’t Know What My College Major Should Be. And That’s Okay.

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Lifestyle & Opinion

Is Call Out Culture Toxic or Necessary?

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Lifestyle & Opinion

The Kavanaugh Decision

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Opinion

No Sugar Coating: Halloween

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Opinion

From South Africa to Comedy Central

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Lifestyle & Opinion

Why It Shouldn’t Be Called Hispanic Heritage Month

• Fashion

No Sugar Coating: Labella Nail Spa & Hair

• Trump’s Controversial Remarks

Entertainment

No Sugar Coating: The Nun

Trump’s Controversial Remarks