Social Media vs Students

Flickr

Have students become too involved with social media?

Zayra Trejo, Opinion Editor

As soon as I hear the persistent and annoying sound of my alarm ring at 6 AM, I know it’s time to start the day. However, the very first thing I do isn’t roll over and get out of my bed but check my phone and scroll on social media for a good 20 minutes or so. It’s a continuous cycle after that with constant phone-checking. So, how did it get to this point for our generation? And is it really doing more harm than good?

There is no doubt in my mind that this generation relies on social media heavily for everything whether it be news, homework or just to see what the latest trend is. It’s arguable that it is enhancing their knowledge internationally rather than restricting it. One point that many like to argue is that because students have become too absorbed with their phones, they are not able to socialize well with others. Well, they are, just not the way the older generation would like them to.

Students are constantly texting each other, posting photos on Instagram, tweeting their thoughts on Twitter — all these lead to interaction with one another. Socializing online is more interactive than ever and brings something new to the table for students. With one single tap on their screen, they are able to message a friend or video call a loved one across the world. Social media networks allow them to have the freedom they want when posting something that they wouldn’t find in real life.

“Social media is a way to distract myself from the immense school work and gives me a break.” – Dennis Enamorado, 12th grade.

I understand the concern that older generations point out. Students nowadays are heavily influenced by what’s circulating around the media. It can also lead to a negative outcome when it comes to their studies and self-esteem. as they have become too obsessed with an app. There is no denying that students and their phones are inseparable.

“Social media is both good and bad. It can be a big distraction because of all the trendy topics and it pressures others into fitting the norm.” – Luz Pedroza, 12th grade.

It’s up to students to limit themselves on social media. It’s not too hard to track the amount of time one spends on an app. It’s pretty simple: if time being spent on Instagram or Twitter exceeds the amount of time being spent on studying for that math test you have tomorrow, it’s a serious issue.

Also, people need to understand that this is the age of technology which means easier ways to communicate. Don’t immediately assume that a student sending a text or video-calling a close friend or family member has become brainwashed — it’s just a more convenient way to communicate with one another.

As time continues, new technology will be developed and the pattern continues. Let’s just hope people will still know how to hold a conversation face-to-face in the future.